Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sink or Swim? Seedlings or Plants?

Well, I was just about to give in (still might) and trade in the floundering seedlings for the robust young vegetable plants in the store.  Mine just never look the same.  I start them too late, they don't get enough light, maybe I need a greenhouse, oh, yeah, and where would I put that?!!  And yesterday, I was at the plant store - Frank's, in Elkridge - and of course, they are bigger, better, livelier!
But then last night I plucked out some round red radishes, romaine and spinach for my mother, and it looked great!  And then a nice round radish (HOT!) for me this afternoon, after trimming the front bushes.
And here's the difference -- what we planted that worked was what could go right out in the ground a month or so ago.  It's those sorry little seedlings, planted in the little pots, that are quick to come up but then leggy and pitiful-looking.  Those are the ones that beg for replacements.  The ones started indoors.  I think I'm right.  I think I DO need a greenhouse; at least a small one to keep them outdoors once they sprout!
I still think it's too late for this spring, and I probably need to turn to the plant store.  But maybe I'd better start investigating small greenhouses as well!
Yum, that radish was good.  Used to be, in the old days, I knew someone who dipped them in a pile of salt...

No comments:

Post a Comment