Monday, January 11, 2010

Worms as Sardines


Okay, I fed the worms today, having put it off for a good two weeks again, day by day.  I've got to admit it --  I really AM a little grossed out.  I didn't think it would be a big deal, like earthworms in the garden, but there are SO MANY of them!  And then, as I put it off longer and longer, letting the kitchen compost build up, I begin to wonder if -- even worse than them all being there --  what if they're all dying or dead and I'm not even checking on them?  Ewwww!  Worm-killer!
So on the other hand, I do like giving them all my compost.  I do like tearing up the pizza box and providing it to them as bedding, since I can't recycle pizza boxes.  Can you tell?  I'm still trying to talk myself into this.
It actually reminds me of when I wanted to try eating sardines, and I'd thought and thought about it, and then I'd googled it, and read a great article by someone, putting into words the same questions I'd had --  Would they be slimy?  What about the bones?...  And then I finally got brave, and figured she'd survived and liked them, and then lo and behold, so did I!
So I'm waiting now, waiting for my ephiphany, knowing that if I just wait, it'll probably come.  But in the meantime, I also know I probably need to look at them more often, ponder them, oh lord help me, not talk to them, as I start to come around.  I don't FEEL like I'm saving the world, one bit of compost at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment